How falling pray to false cognates is the mark of someone who hasn't yet mastered the English language!

When first starting out learning English, or any new language for that matter, it is with high hopes that the new learner tries to find some word patterns that may help them quickly acquire new vocabulary so that they may start coming up with some basic sentences. Naturally, as times progresses, the new learner is expected to keep on learning new words, even when such words do not have any similarities whatsoever to their native language. 

 

After years of learning and practicing the new language, there comes a time when the learner feels like they are at the peak of their language-proficiency mastery. At this point, they might have even taken some language-proficiency exams such as the ITEP or TOEFL and, thus, feel like there is nothing else for them to learn. Yet when they open their mouths to communicate in the proverbial language, those around them have no choice but to cringe as they quite literally butcher the English language and spout unintelligible sentences due to the fact that they are not aware of what a "false cognate" is. And this, my friends, is what truly separates a mediocre English learner from a truly committed one. 

 

Just the other day, one of my classmates was giving a presentation in front of all the whole class and, quite sadly, decided to open with the following words: "Today, I will expose about the topic of...". As expected, as soon as the words hit my ears, I felt sorry for them and turned to my peers expecting to see some sort of reaction, as this was clearly a mistake that most C1/C2 speakers and learners would be expected to pick up on quite readily. To my surprise, only a couple showed any realization whatsoever as to the inappropriate use of such false cognate, which told me that this might be a more pervasive problem than I anticipated. And make no mistake, I am not claiming to be perfect as an English speaker, yet I feel like years of practicing, noticing patterns and reading tons of novels have steered me clear of the "false cognate" trap.

 

As a former teacher at bilingual schools, I can relate to the frustrations that English teachers here at the UPY experience on a daily basis whenever they are trying to correct their students, only to be rebuked. Oftentimes, my peers will pretend not to have made those mistakes and simply brush them off. Unfortunately, doing so is a recipe for disaster as making and acknowledging mistakes is the only way to move forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Artemis? Everything you need to know about NASA's new moon mission

Engineering Project to Help Third World Countries Benefit from Globalization

Skateboarding is Now a Olympic Sport!